Sunday, August 22, 2004

Reference Material

Currently, I'm reading "The Fall" by Camus and "Learning from Las Vegas" by Venturi. The former will keep me humble, I expect, and the latter, well, we'll see. Pastor Jones last week gave me a stack of reference material: "The Culture of Time and Space" by Kern, "The Condition of Postmodernity" by Harv, along with a stack of photocopied articles.

A recent "Mars Hill" article described the decision of a large urban church congregation to remain in the city, despite it's growing need for parking. The decision to stay was based on its significant ministry opportunities by being located within an urban environment. It also mentioned the importance of churches to retain their own real estate as the city grows around them. This was the most hopeful article I have heard about the contemporary church and / or architecture.

Except for classical and neo-classical writers, I've found very little of depth on Christians and Architecture. It's just as well since I read so slowly.

No comments: